The making of Apocalypsis: A Journey Inward . Some background info and additional pics from the project. . BEHIND THE SCENES
To start with, for those who've not seen Apocalypsis: A Journey Inward, you can check it out here.
Several good people on the various Lego sites have asked for what I’d call a “behind the scenes” look at this, um...MOC?...I suppose you'd call it? Ya know, MOC just doesn’t seem like quite the right word, so we’ll say project. Anyway, I’d planned on posting a behind the scenes page for each episode in the trilogy at some point. I just wanted to wait with this first chapter to see if, #1, anybody really cared!!! And #2, if sleep deprivation hadn’t gotten the best of me. (It was a close call on “b.”)
INSPIRATION HITS (Ouch!...Son of a b*#@h!)
I’d seen several great castle MOCs with landscaping that was pretty cool, but got to thinking that many (not all, but most) waterfalls were done in blue. Also, it seemed that most of the time, rocks were always done studs up. With those things in mind, I started getting interested in taking a break from ye ol’ space theme, and moving into some uncharted Dio territory. That's refering to "Diorama" mind you, not listening to "Holy Diver" (for the geriatrics like me old enough to wonder).
Once I’d begun construction on the rock facade (a prototype seen here) I started to feel a story line would add to the interest of the MOC. Several scenarios were playing themselves out, when I decided to just listen to that little voice that was enticing me to do something a bit more dangerous...MMWWAA, Ha, Ha, Ha! (Usually listening to that voice is a BAD thing...resulting in after school detentions, angry rebuttals by women in short skirts, mid-week hangovers, community service, etc. But every now and then it steers me in the right direction, and I think this was one of those times.)
As the story continued to evolve and grow in complexity, it took over as the primary reason for the project. It was at that point when the final approach came into focus. I wanted the visuals to have the flexibility to illustrate some pretty crazy stuff (which is yet to come!), and Photoshop work would do that. I decided to create several MOC’s to help tell the story. In the end they would function like sets on a movie production, having the capacity to be broken down, re-arranged, brought to the foreground for some shots, moved back for others, etc. It opened up a whole new realm of possibilities, and in the end, the MOC’s you see here were created not for themselves (as most MOC’s are), but specifically as backdrops for a method of illustrative story telling.
So here’s a bit of an overhead shot with the primary MOC at about the halfway point. It was built in sections, designed to easily come apart and get put back together again. (Oh yeah, that worked great...“MOTHER *&$#!...STUPID $*!...JUST F*#&@! GET IN THERE!!!!!”) The main idea was to have sections of the rock facade removable at any point so they could be used in other shots if needed. Sometimes they might be used horizontally, other times vertically, sometimes with foliage, sometimes without, and so on.
At this stage, the story had been coming along, but I liked the idea of being able to use the scenery like a play set, with all kinds of scenarios available to the creative mind. And of course what does my creative mind think of first…
Why, a half-naked chick waiting for me to frolic in the falls with her, what else? Okay that’s actually not entirely true. My first thought was a FULLY naked chick waiting to frolic, but it’s MOCpages (sigh!) had to keep it at least semi-clean.
And then there was this poor guy…
(I'd give props here to the genius that came up with that hat trick...yes, pun intended...but, I can't remember where I saw it first.)
All the stupid crap we put these poor Minifigs through...better hope they never get a Union!
And here’s a shot of the primary landscape piece in it’s completed form. I actually really like this shot. If you compare it to the image in the story, you’ll see I took sections from the facade to add more walls up above, and walls in the cave with Photoshop. I also added foreground foliage, mist around the falls, a subtle rainbow effect, and mist at the top. Again, not unlike movie studios when they’ll shoot something on set, and then go in and use digital enhancement. Maybe not the norm for Lego, but a lot of fun!
A few details of the set...
Note the obligatory shrooms...Tommy Chong: "Gotta have mushrooms, maaan!"
And the hanging fern-type-viney-don't-want-to-stay-in-their-place-thingy's (plasticus pain-in-the-assicus)
One of the smaller sets I used for the forest scenes…
And last, some of the trees used for various shots. I have to mention that I was pretty happy with the taller one there in the center. The trunk is an octagonal arrangement with the sides alternating between being one stud wide, and two studs wide. This allowed for the roots to fan out like you see them, and IMHO made for a fairly realistic looking tree base. I had several more, but the LIU Logging Company laid waste to the rest of ‘em for a contract they’d signed with a Chinese toothpick company.
Well that’s it for now. Thanks for checking this out, and I’ll try to get a move-on with the second installment. Be forewarned, I’m a ridiculously slow builder. Nevertheless, I’ll give it my best, and hopefully our hero will be back in due time...his adventure has just begun!