Atlas AS7-D-DC MWO . So, it was Last Tuesday, bored out of my skull, just destroyed roughly 5000 pieces of lego creations. I needed to build something. I was looking at my AOD Forums (Angels of Death) and a buddy posted something about Lego Mechs. Well the examples he posted just were aweful. I must create a worthy Lego Atlas... but how? This project too a very long time and I didn't even finish it. Mainily because I believe I spent way too much time in research on how much movement was allowable, etc. See below. .
Building Crane built first to test height strength. Of course, I didn't have all the parts so I improvised. Still turned out pretty good. Learned about stability and will probably use this design in every model that needs strength.
Shows my visual reference, my basic designs and my firt cockpit.
Close up of the first cockpit design
This is about my 5th cockpit redesign
I love this center core design. It is EXTREMELY stable and totally dependable. It saves me from having to resort to glue for heavier projects. Thank you Building Crane!
I wanted my cockpit to be as realistic as possible. Even though this is what I wanted, it would not fit in the frame I built. Oh, well, still looks great.
Cockpit, pilot's view
The Vacuum of space is dangerous, make sure you have your oxygen tanks full.
Fitting pieces together
Waist, Legs, Knees, Ankle, foot - Movement test.
Closeup of knee, Ankle, Foot
Closeup of Ankle and Foot
Construction continues with Mech frame in scaffolding, missing the cockpit. James T. Kirk minifig used as a frame of reference. Minifig scale reference makes the meck 15 minifigs high, which is correct. heh.
Another minifig reference picture, from the front. Kirk posing as usual.
Coup de grace, finished cockpit (after about 20 redesigns, re sizes, etc). I love this piece. very solid. pretty close if I do say so myself.
Cockpit beginning to open
Cockpit open a bit wider
Cockpit completely open. As you can see, I was unable to put my original cockpit design inside, but, it still turned out pretty good.
This is as close as I got to a finished product. After 5 months of intermittently working on it, I decided i needed to move on. The head, arms, and lower body were the only complete parts. They, in my humble opinion, were awesome. Problem was that I didn't use any hydrolics or pnuematics to create tension. I spent a ton of research on motion. Arms and lower body had complete movement, but, without tension, it could never really stand on it's own.