Ford F-150 Lighting Monster Truck . Ford F150 Monster Truck. . Yo !
Another year of university down, another summer back home...
Maybe not too much of a comeback model, but I'd been toying with the idea of making a monster truck for quite a while - to make something differently to usual. Where usually I would concentrate on making the looks accurate to the real car, and fit technical functions where there was space left to do so; this time round I started w=concentrating on the technic side and made the bodywork afterwards as well as it could fit around the structure.
The monster truck was built to a smaller scale than usual; around 16-wide (same as my old 007 Lotus Esprit, which has finally passed away and gone to a better place... seperated into parts sorted in various boxes of lego) - the scale, and decision to make it, decided by the fact that my brother had acquired a set of big offroad style wheels. The truck is loosely based on a Ford F150 Lighting pickup, though by 'loosely' what I mean is, it's recognisable as one, though I didn't put much effort into making it very accurate.
On the technical side of things, I started with a lower chassis connected to the wheels; the rear wheels are chain-driven by one motor each (which actually isn't enough to move the thing much, but looks good...) and the front ones connected to a steering systel that goes all the way up to the left-hand-drive steering wheel in the interior, which works quite nicely. Each wheel has two springs for suspension, though at this scale I couldn't think of a way to make independent suspension with the parts I had within the space available - so though the suspension of each axle is independent of the other, the suspension of each wheel of one axle is linked (when one wheel goes up, the other goes down). Still, the suspension worked out quite well in the end, and when fully depressed, the top of the tyre just clears the bottom of the bodywork.
All this was then connected to an upper chassis made from technic bricks, at the height of the top of the springs. This was all very well, though two problems arose - one, that this upper chassis was an odd number of bricks wide, where the bodywork would be an even number; and two that it was too high up to build the body on top of it. I found a way, though probably not of the strongest construction ever made, to get around both of these problems; and the bodywork is built not on top of, but around the upper chassis. The protruding parts were then hidden as best possible by, in the front, the engine; in the interior, the transmission tunnel; and in the rear, the battery packs.
Again, not too mcuh attention was paid to looks on this one, though I tried to make it somewhat good - opening doors (of interesting construction... which happened due to lack of yellow hinge bricks/plates), rear panel, and bonnet - to reveal the engine. The interior is fairly simple, just seats, steering wheel, gearstick and handbrake. Still, it turned out better than I thought it would when had just started building. I didn't want to make an 'over the top' monster truck - just a normal pickup body with monster truck wheels and suspension.
Also the last two photos are just a couple of mlego dudes I made last year, that I didn't think warranted their own MOC page for. One is Duke Nukem (a pretty good time to post him, and a sign of things to come...) and what looks like a victorian gravedigger. I made him some tails for his coat (just out of black paper that slotted between the legs and torso) but they can't be seen from the angle in the photo.
Next up: one of two models I've been meaning to make for a very long time...