Lego Cashbox . Here's the Lego puzzle box I use to hold my money in (I've got $450). It's built very securely and has several tricks to throw off potential raiders. ;)
I built this over a year ago and just haven't gotten around to taking pictures until now. I actually wonder if I could build a better one since this one works without a hitch.
Sometime later I'll get around to adding captions for the pics describing the technical bits. .
1. So you'd like to get some money, huh? Well, you'll have to work for it! You'll begin by rotating the gear on top of the box until it won't go any further, then pull the black brick attached to the green recessed panel while holding the gear from moving back.
2. You will find that it opens to reveal a small compartment with several objects in it.
3. Spreading them out on top of the safe for a better look you'll see that they are a gear, a brick with a peg, and a piece that looks like some sort of key.
4. The first of my security measures; you won't get anywhere using that key! You have to seperate into halves and only one part will work. It is one of the many ways in which I am cleverer than those pesky thieves! :P
5. Okay, the money is just inside the door. Can it really be that easy? No way! I've got pride, you know. :P Notice the door on the front of the safe. In fact, without the door there really wouldn't be a front! Just imagine the confusion that would cause! "Okay, just insert the key into the hole on the front of the box." "Which end's the front?" "Um..." You see? By my ingenious placement of a door on what has therefore become the front surface of the safe, I have saved some poor person heaps of embarrassment way in advance!
6. Okay, back to actually opening the door. I'll save you some trouble and tell you to shove the gear onto the long part of the key. It's that simple. Well, no it's not, but you'll have to wait until section 7 to find out the rest! Are you on the edge of your seat yet? Good, because the infinately more entertaining seventh part is up next!
7. ...And behind door number one we have- a wall! Okay, I bet you're thinking "This guy's nuts, he built a door that goes nowhere." Right? You're not? I hope not, because the cash will flow eventually, we've just got more work to do. Place the key into the leftmost hole until it attaches firmly to the piece just inside, then take the brick with the peg and snap the peg into the hole closest to the gear and let it fall so that the brick rests on top of the gear and Wallah! "It's Voila." "So what, WALLAH!"
8. Now, when you turn the key counter-clockwise it pulls the wall aside while the gear and brick work like a ratchet to keep the door from closing itself on account of the rubber band pulling it shut.
9. Okhay, arwight! CHA-CHING! $$$ I see cash! Four-fifty worth of- coins? Hold on, something's not right, this can't be all of it. Can it?
10. Well, after securing enough coins to jam the gumball machine for a week we might as well close the door. After all, there's no sense in sharing the wealth with whoever might walk by and see it open; the world's full of unscrupulous people, just like us. ;) Just pull up on the ratchet brick and the fake wall will slam shut by itself, now shut the door before the scent of money attracts trouble! Be careful to not leave coins on the track where the wall goes or it will jam up.
11. You may have noticed a blue recessed panel with some bricks on top earlier. Now remember the green panel with the handle? When certain conditions were met we were able to open it. Well the same holds true for this panel, if we do this right we should have some green stuff to show for this!
12. There is another hole where the key could fit on the right side of the door, but it won't fit in far enough with the gear attached, so we can remove it. Now it fits into the hole and clicks into place, turn it clockwise and you'll feel something shift inside. It's unlocked! "O yeah, gonna get me some free cash, gonna buy me some goodies, gonna- What!? It's still locked!"
13. Mwahahaha! That's because I've put in another brilliant contraption to foil those ne'er-do-wells that are after my hard stolen spinach! You must find a certain brick on a different side of the box and press and hold it in in order to fully unlock the box. But you would never have figured that out on your own because I've thought of everything! Sure you might have thought that piece stood out and noticed that it moved ever so slightly when you brushed your finger across it, but I have ways of making sure you never get that far! All I have to do is go back in time and stop myself from building this safe and you will never in a million years find the secret button! It's so simple, I wonder why I didn't think of it sooner!
14. Okay, I'm pushing the button now. Oops, that's the red button that I'm not-supposed-to-press-under-any-circumstances! The whole thing's gonna blow in five seconds! Oh the humanity! Did I scare you?
15. So, as long as the button's being held in and the lock is opened we should be able to Open the Box! Don't even think of trying to open it without unlocking it first, the handle will just break off.
"Allright, it is time to oppen zie box! Lid up!"
Yoohoo! Look at all this money! I'm rich! I'm rich! What's that you say? What about you? Well, what about you! It's my money and there's nothing you can do about it! My last security measure was to make sure that I had the real box and you could only look at pictures of the safe! Mwahaha!
If it's any consolation, there's only $150 in the box, not $450; The rest is in the bank right now.