Corrupted data encountered - system malfunction!
Hello, ladies and gents. Today I'm stepping out of character for an article to answer a request made by one Jak Corbett. This article is a general tutorial on how I build my creations, as well as a sneak peek at my upcoming new production model. So today I'm going to show you the newest product to roll off the factory line - the Kerykeion Mark II.
These are all the parts you'll need to make your own - you can get them on Bricklink for about eight bucks. As you can see, most of the parts are basic 1x2 and 1x3 plates. These offer a much higher degree of flexibility than bricks in most cases, unless the brick has some special purpose to it.
We'll start with a leg assembly - I put two clear circle plates together to create the thrusters, which are installed in what will be the bottom of the foot. The hook design in back results in the back of the foot being slightly raised to create a heel effect, which makes the model more stable.
The next step is to add the bracket, which will allow us to form the front of the leg later - we'll also take this opportunity to add the grill that holds it in place and completes the thruster assembly. We'll also add the joint now - this is one of the critical pieces. Having a fresh, stiff joint here will make your model much more posable than having a loose one.
Next we'll add a new design element, a bar which will bind the joint to the bracket. This is necessary in order to make the leg taller - notice the 1x1 plate that was placed just over the thrusters. Normally the joint would go in there and be held properly, but this limited the mecha's height. Since I wanted the Mark II to be taller, I had to create this piece to hold it in place.
Now let's work on the underside for a bit - we'll now add the foot, as well as a 1x1 circle which serves cosmetically to keep the knee from looking too thin.
Going back topside, we'll add the knee plate as well as the first part of the new upper leg, a 1x3 plate.
Now to complete the upper leg, we'll add the bar plate and close the system with another 1x3 plate. The grill is there for cosmetic purposes only.
The left leg is a perfect mirror of the right - I like to make my mechs as symmetrical as possible. Now that we have the legs complete, let's move on to the torso.
This joint here is the foundation of the design - it's used in Valdor's arms as well as in the torsos of most of my creations. In this case, we're going to attach square 1x1 plates to one end, and round ones to the other.
Now let's build the neck area - this is similar to the main torso in many ways, but we're going to attack a brick and round plate to the central piece.
Finally, we connect the two using more bar plates, which will form the basis of the shoulders.
Now we're ready to add the hooks that are going to connect the torso to the legs, as well as the head.
Finally, we add the chest ornamentation - I've altered it from the original, having found that the skirt armor hindered the legs too much. Now let's move on to the arms.
Unlike the legs, where the studs face outward, on the arms the studs all face inward. We're going to use another joint here, with a hook to connect to the shoulders as well as diagonal slopes to form shoulder armor.
Another new design element - on the Mark I, I simply attached clips to the joints and was done. This time I wanted rotating wrists, so I used plates to create a space wide enough for the lamp holder brick I use here. The grill here contribues to minimizing studs.
Finally, we add the wrist and hand, another hook. These wrists can now rotate freely and thus can hold weapons in many more orientations.
Now let's attach our legs and arms to the torso...
And there you have it! Almost everything I've made is built this way - it's a versatile style that allows for near-endless customization and modification to suit whatever mecha design I'm looking for.
The inspiration, of course, must by accredited to the pioneers of this style - kashiwa and zizy2, two designers far more skilled than I. Check out their Brickshelf pages for much more awesome Advanced Frame mecha.
On another note, while the Industrial War scenario was an original and on-the-fly creation of mine, I'm certainly not the kind to complain about others expanding upon my work. If anyone's interested in putting their own creations in the setting, feel free to just do it - I'd love it if you'd drop me a line if you do, I most certainly would like to see what people do with this.