I've been getting a little nostalgic for the 80's lately. Watching episodes of transformers G1 on YouTube, reading reviews of various 80's action figures and decided it was high time someone did some Gobots/Machine Robo MOCs.
To be fair this is far from what I originally wanted. I made a complete mess of the leg design, but rather than scrap the project I present it more as a reinvention than a straight Legofied copy of the G1 Cy-Kill.
For anyone unfamiliar with Challenge of the Gobots, or the various toy lines associated with it (just google it, it would take me forever to explain). Cy-Kill was the leader of the evil Renegades from planet Gobotron. A transforming cyborg who could turn from a highly stylised motorcycle into a vaguely humanoid robot.
Because this is a "homage" I've changed the colours, however I am planning to make a more original version.
Shown are three versions, each more or less the same, just with slight cosmetic changes.
The final version is retooled it incorporate a seat for a minifig.
My original plan was to create something closer to the original transformation. But getting a wheel design that was in scale, detachable, and could be fixed to the shoulders, was just a little taxing, so I went a different way.
I sort of like the robot form, but the vehicle needs more work. Though the "alien" vibe is applicable considering he's a Renegade - again, google Gobots, if you don't know what I'm on about.
Comparing original and my incarnation I have a few amendments that I should really make. Here are a summary of quick fixes and a few that will require a rebuild if I decide to go there.
1. The forward section should ideally be white not silver.
2. The foot should be blue and the legs are missing yellow accents.
3. The head should be longer and more bullet shaped with a more obvious "face"*.
4. The wheels at the rear need to be on the inside facing each other, but there isn't enough clearance**.
5. The hands should be silver and probably need hiding better for the vehicle form.
*I have seen some LEGOFormer Conehead seekers and Powerglide who tackle this problem quite well, I may take inspiration from them.
**I did design the legs in a way where this was possible but I didn't have a way to test the clearances against the hips. It may be possible if I simply move the hips forward one brick width.