This is my Eighth LEGO RC MOC. It was completed on 3/3/2014. It features Drive, Articulated Steering (no Servo Steering) Bucket elevation and tilting, lights
About this creation
I have created two construction vehicles, a Road Grader and a Telehandler, and both were pretty useless once done. The Road Grader's blade bends due to the backlash at the worm gear and the drivetrain slips, so it was no use trying to push some stuff. The Telehandler's boom had too little torque, due to the amount of space there is for gear reduction, so it does not have a fork, but a basket instead, which was useless other than extending the boom and knocking down some stuff, like Sariel did with his Tow Truck 2 in his video of it. After all these nonsense (in my opinion) creations, I have tried to make a custom digger bucket with Technic beams and panels, and that is why I thought it was time for something with a bucket.
The idea of a Front Loader came right away. I started out with making the front axle and building the arms of the bucket. There is one linear actuator raising the arms, and two is more realistic, but I only have 2 Linear Actuators. The bucket tilting is tilted with 1 Linear Actuator, and the mechanism is just like real. Just like a real front loader, all electrical elements (that is, the battery box, the receivers, and the motors) are in the rear, and drive is carried out by 3 u-joints (Drive to front axle, Bucket Elevation, and Bucket tilting.) Because of this, the model was rear-heavy and the rear axle was bending a bit.
As I started building its body, the body shape was very complex. It was built at angles, which made many connectors attaching it trying to separate. The rear module, when complete, fits at a half stud, and it used many half-stud connectors to adapt it to the body. The cab came off the rear module, and it was also built at a half-stud, and turned out better than I thought. There are also 2x2 trans-yellow round bricks for lights (sadly, Lego Technic haven't used them for a while now, I hope they bring them back.) The cab turned out better than expected, and the model looked great, although I was planning to use panels.
At the end, I was trying to make a custom bucket with Technic pieces. One made from plates is more realistic and lighter, but more likely to come apart. I then had to gear down the LA to make it lift the bucket. It worked.
Overall, this is my first model with some good use, and with a custom bucket I can easily make another model like this (e.g. an excavator.)
Another excellent bit of technical LEGO. Linear actuators are the best way to go with articulate vehicles. Converted the Volvo wheel loader, and what a difference it made! I also have some suggestions for making long pages easier to digest: (i) Embed (not just link) the main video at the top to generate the motivation to read on. (ii) Intersperse text and images so as to keep paragraphs short and illustrated nearby. If you'd like help with embedding videos, check the source on my pages or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Excellent engineering. I agree with technic man though, bigger pics would be helpful. But I have the same problem. Can't seem to get them any bigger w/o causing a real problem in the upload process. If anyone has any answers, please let me know. Great job on this one.