This is my Third LEGO RC MOC. It was completed on 12/27/2013. It featured drive and steering, like all RC Creations, blade elevation and rotation, and lights.
About this creation
After I got some new Power Functions parts (which includes a second remote control along with the one from the 9398 set and a new IR Receiver) I decided to make a model that can finally feature more than simply drive and steering. I also got the 42005 Monster Truck set, and I wanted to use those wheels as the rear axles and 62.4/20 wheels on the front, so I thought that a model of a road grader would work perfectly.
The building process was very straightforward, and the chassis came with pendular suspension on axles 2 and 3 until I have noticed that the shock absorbers are pushing on the pieces when half-compressed and caused a lot of friction in the drivetrain, so I have to remove the suspension completely. The drivetrain was also planned with drive on both axles #2 and #3 until I noticed there wasn't enough space, so I only featured drive on the 3rd axle.
The mechanism for controlling the blade movement was very straightforward, too, and both of its functions are controlled by L-Motors. Attaching the blade mechanism to the drivetrain was a bit hard, though, as the two sides of the blade mechanism were not symmetrical.
After I started making its body, I have placed the battery box inside its rear section, which is removable for battery replacement. The cab was a little hard, though, as I wanted to make the angled windscreen on some road graders. However, after it was done, it looked great.
However, the models had some problems with tilting to one end. Because there is a large gap between axles #1 and #2, so I added two small wheels near the blade. The most challenging part was making the front section not bend when you carry the model around. Without reinforcements, it bends severely and almost falls off, but the reinforcing was straightforward after I found a way to reinforce it, and everything else worked great. It was surprisingly completed in less than 2 weeks without any problems, except for the driven axle often slipping because of the differential and the gears in it disengaging under stress or when you back it up right after going forward. Otherwise, this is my most successful model so far.