This is my First LEGO RC MOC. It was completed on 9/13/2013. It features drive with 1 L Motor and Servo Steering with Working Steering Wheel.
About this creation
After getting the 9398 set I have finally made my first RC Creation, the Street Buggy. I have taken one and a half months creating, starting in late July and and going through August.
The design I had in mind at first was a design like 9393's B-model (I don't have set 9393) with no suspension in the front and a simple spring suspension in the rear, which includes a ball joint. I used set 9398's shock absorbers and hubs to create the suspension, and that simply failed because there wasn't enough space for reinforcements, resulting in severe bending of the axle as soon as it starts driving.
Then I decided to use a pendular suspension on both axles. After getting some experience with Lego Technic building I have made the axles more reinforced, and there were 4 shock absorbers on both axles. The steering axle with suspension included worked well, too, but soon the front section became weak because I can't reinforce it with a suspended axle.
It was hard to get the rear suspension to work right - it was either too stiff or too soft, which causes the body to move when driving and collide with the wheels, so I changed the rear suspension again to a live axle suspension. Reinforcing the axle was a bit hard but it worked perfectly at the end. Overall, I think the suspension system was very successful for this model.
Now here is something that I can definitely point out - it looked nothing like a real street buggy. I have no idea why it ended up like this but I think it was because of the complex shape of a buggy. It looks flat and wide, especially from the top, and the seats were also out of proportion. This is because I had to save space for the live axle suspension, which takes up a lot of space, and the front bumper turned out way too big because the body did not descend downward. The IR Receiver and the battery box were also at a bad location - where it's hard for the remote's commands to reach the receiver and the battery box is extremely difficult to take out of the model for battery replacement without taking apart the rear section, which was made with tiles.
Overall, I think the model was pretty successful as a first LEGO Creation, especially the suspension system and its performance, but not on the design. I think a little more planning would make this model's appearance a lot better.