Ok, as some of my long term watchers will know, from time to time I practice my MOCing skills by taking someone else's creation and trying to recreate it in LDD.
Occasionally though I decide to modify and personalise the design, partly to avoid accusations of swiping, but also because I often see things the original design didn't, or couldn't include which (in LDD) I can.
So here is MY interpretation of Nufalak's Breakneck.
Beyond the colour scheme changes and the addition of weapons, the majority of the changes affect the core body. To reduce the overall size of his design, Nufalak created the central section using plates but I've used headlight bricks instead. The reason? because I was able to incorporate t-bar joints, giving the arms shoulders which rotate forward as well as out.
I've also approached the head situation differently. Mine has a fixed head formed from the forward handle bar/mud guard/headlight whereas the original had the head transformed into the storage locker/seat. While this sacrifices some articulation (the head cannot rotate)it does mean there is "less junk in the trunk" in vehicle mode.
WHAT WENT RIGHT:
If my plan was to recreate the original I failed, however my actual plan was to use the same basic idea and apply a modified transformation. In this I believe the design is very successful. The transformation (with the exception of the human rider and the weapons) can be achieved without ANY partsforming. Something that at first glance might seem unlikely.
While the overall design has limited articulation in robot mode, it does "look" like it can hold a few poses, stand unaided and is different enough from the vehicle form to constitute a transformation.
WHAT WENT WRONG:
In a design like this it's difficult to get everything that you might want. For example, if it were possible I'd love for the hips and shoulders to be ball joints. Never going to happen, but it would be nice if it could.
I also wanted the weapons to be GUNS not swords, but placing them in robot mode was tricky.
I'd love to take this basic concept and turn it into a ride suit - for those unfamiliar with this concept, the robot mode would be a suit of armour worn by the rider and not a separate robot. It might not be impossible to achieve as there are some clever engineering tricks that I've learned in the last two years that could be used to attach the rider to the vehicle, and WRAP the vehicle around him.
But first I need to look at a couple of things I'm not happy with. The feet need to be bulkier, but not adversely affect the vehicle form. The "arms" need to function better as limbs, the wheels may look ok for a minicon, but for a ride suit they don't add much for the pilot by way of interacting with stuff.
But we shall see. As ever time is limited and work must come before MOCing.