This spaceship looks very simple when you first look at it. Simple shape, simple cockpit, simple decorations. It takes you a while to start finding interesting things: For one, lots of SNOT (Studs Not On Top, for those of you who don't know). An opening cockpit. Landing gear. Vents that show orange out through the grilles. At first, this build also looks significantly gray. But when you take a second look, you will find dark blue, green, translucent red, and more. But the most prominent thing here is the angles of the bricks: forwards, backwards, up, down, to both sides. I have bricks facing with their studs (or lack of studs, because of some tiles) to all sides in this spaceship.
It is not hard to get all of these details, and especially so many different directions in which the bricks are facing into a spaceship, but into one this small? I don't know about what you think, but I'm very proud of it.
But enough talk, here are some pictures so you can see what I mean.
Another view from above: you can tell that I left the stickers on some of the parts. The parabola is printed though.
A view of the bottom, with landing gear retracted. Can you see what I mean by studs facing to all sides?
The orange vent. Not only upside-down, but sidewards bricks, too!
Landing gear unfolded.
The back thrusters. Now, this is the really important part. This is the part that shaped the whole build...
I had this idea for over a year. I had built a spaceship utilizing the idea when it first came to me, but I was not a good builder back then…
Now, a year after that first incarnation, I returned to the idea. That was over two months ago. I rebuilt it to fit in terms of colors and reshaped it to look cooler.
That version had a problem, however: It showed white bricks. So, after about one and a half months, two weeks ago, I replaced all the white bricks with gray ones, added gray tiling to the bottom, and inserted the vents where there had been large gaps of white.
I'll take a short break from the story as I show you how the cockpit can be removed...
...and taken apart to insert a minifig!
On with the story. Two days after I took out all the white bricks, I decided to take out all the filling and make an interior. I managed it, but later in the same day, I had to make more changes to stabilize it again.
So the final version you see here essentially took me over a year to develop, with about five different versions until I was done. That is a long time, seeing as I usually take no more than a few weeks to finalize (and scrap) anything I build.
The one problem with adding the interior is that the roof does not come off in one piece… But that is a minor technicality. :P Maybe that will be the next change I make.
Sort of artistic shot... I need to work on those.
Aaaand a last shot.
So, I hope you can see why I am proud of this project. It has a very difficult to obtain all the different directions of bricks, and, as you know by now, I worked a long time on the design. It is still a work in progress, because, only while posting, I already discovered the next two minor issues I need to fix... Maybe I'll make an edit for those. Until then, I hope you enjoyed it!
PS: You can see an older version of this ship here.
Oh, and before I forget, my first spaceship on Mocpages!!! Woohoo! Anyways, as I said, I hope you enjoyed it!
After posting this ship, I made further changes: The roof was connected to come off in one piece, although that did not quite work, and the thrusters were changed to trans red. I don't have pictures of that version, but I can safely say that this is my only build to go through four or five versions.