Mech /robot made from 2 Creator sets. Transform from a jet plane to a robot with excellent articulation.
About this creation
This is my second attempt in trying to build transformable mechs/robots from official LEGO sets (Kai Rotormech being the first). This time around, I'm using two Creator sets , namely 31008 Thunder Wings and 31006 Highway Speedster (below)
Well, initially I thought of building a land vehicle transformer (since both sets offer 8 tyres for me to make use of), but I found out that they're from different sizes and also 2 pairs from Speedster are linked together by
long axles .. this makes it hard for me to split them up in robot mode since the
tyres always end up at on both robot legs (unless I cheated and saw them in two :P)
The number of hinges offered are just right for me to complete the build. I am very pleased to find out that I have excess number of cheese slopes to be used here. But I'm sure is having fun trying to make use of all often to smoothen up various parts of the MOC.
The MOC is very solid in both modes. The arms are tucked nicely at the jet undercarriage and preventing the wings from wobbling.
And when all is done.... I have about 100 parts left over from both sets.
One of the biggest challenge here is to make the nosecone. First I designed it in such a way that the whole nosecone piece folded to the back . But when it jet mode... it sagged due to the excessive weight and the hinges can't cope. So I have no choice but to distribute a few components that made up the nosecone to the robot shoulder instead (and this cost me 2 hinges).
I was pretty hesistant too at one point to continue on.. seeing how the jet wings are getting more and more thick and unappealing, but they somewhat grew on me. (that's the main issue with Transformers Blitzwing in which I will try and tackle one day).
The resulting bot mode has excellent articulation... knees, legs,arms,head,waist... you name it! He can do it. However... during the transformation to bot mode... the 4 studs clutching power for each arm on the shoulder ball joint seems doesn't seem to be adequate enough ( it came loose once for each 4 to 5 times I tried to transform him).
Yes yes.. I'm hearing you. But since you've just gotten to know about the two sets I combined to make this MOC, I'd think I should give you all one week period
(from now: 14th April 2013) to acquire them, if you're interested that is . Do check my blog again after a week
to see the instructions for you guys to follow and build.
If you would like to see more photos , click on my blog entry below: