These are the main artillery pieces fielded by the Red Army during WWII
About this creation
The Red Army has a long tradition of favouring artillery. Soviet commanders called artillery the "God of War" and believed it to be a decisive, battle-winning factor. The Soviet Union began a program of modernising its artillery arm during the 1930s, and so entered World War II with a range of very modern and effective guns and howitzers.
The surprise German invasion in 1941 threw the Red Army into chaos and a huge amount of men and equipment was lost. It took time to rebuild the artillery arm up to full strength and potency, but by the late war period the Soviet army was renowned for the strength and power of its artillery
The 76-mm Divisional Gun M1936 (F-22) was a Soviet divisional semi-universal gun, adopted for Red Army service in 1936. This gun was used in conflicts between the USSR and Japan on the Far East, in the Winter War and in World War II. Many F-22s were captured by Wehrmacht, modernized by the Germans and used against Soviet forces.
The F-22 was a semi-universal gun which combined the capabilities of a divisional gun and - to some extent - of an anti-aircraft gun. It had a split-trail carriage with suspension and steel wheels with rubber tires. The gun was equipped with a semi-automatic vertical sliding breech block; the recoil mechanism consisted of a hydraulic recoil buffer and a hydropneumatic recuperator. The sights and the elevation controls were located on different sides of the barrel. The chamber fitted the standard model 1900 cartridge, which meant that the gun could use ammunition of older 76.2-mm divisional and regimental guns.
The ZiS-2 (Russian: ЗиС-2) was a 57-mm anti-tank gun used during World War II. ZiS stands for Zavod imeni Stalina (Russian Завод имени Сталина, "Factory named after Stalin"), the official title of Artillery Factory No. 92, which produced the gun first.
The ZiS-2 is a semi-automatic gun with vertical block breech. When firing the block opens and closes automatically, the loader only has to put a round into the receiver. Due to this feature the rate of fire can reach 25 rounds per minute. The carriage has coil spring suspension, which allows towing with a speed of up to 50 km/h on highways, 30 km/h on unpaved roads and 10 km/h off-road. The gun can also be attached to a limber and towed by a team of six horses. ZiS-2s are equipped with PP1-2 panoramic sight.
The 122 mm Howitzer M1938 (M-30) was a 122 mm howitzer which saw service in World War II. The weapon was developed by the design bureau of Motovilikha Plants, headed by F. F. Petrov, in the late 1930s, and was in production from 1939 to 1955. The M-30 saw action in World War II, mainly as a divisional artillery piece of the Red Army (RKKA). Captured guns were also employed later in the conflict by the German Wehrmacht and the Finnish Army. Post World War II the M-30 saw combat in numerous conflicts of the mid- to late twentieth century in service of other countries' armies, notably in the Middle East.
M-30 howitzers were primarily employed for indirect fire against enemy personnel. They were also used against field fortifications, for clearing minefields and for breaching barbed wire. Their HE-fragmentation shells presented a danger to armoured vehicles. Fragments created by the explosion could penetrate up to 20 mm of armour - enough against thinly armoured vehicles. The shells could also damage chassis, sights or other elements of heavier armoured vehicles
The 122 mm Howitzer M1910/30 was a 122 mm howitzer, a modernization of World War I era 122-mm howitzer M1910. It was the most numerous divisional howitzer of the Red Army at the outbreak of the Great Patriotic War and remained in service throughout the war.
The M1910/30 was a divisional level howitzer. According to the organization of 1939, each rifle division had two artillery regiments - light regiment (a battalion of 76 mm guns; two mixed battalions with one battery of 76 mm guns and two batteries of 122 mm howitzers) and howitzer regiment (a battalion of 122 mm howitzers and a battalion of 152 mm howitzers), giving 28 122 mm howitzers per division. In June 1940 one more battalion of 122 mm howitzers was added to the howitzers regiment, bringing the number to 32. In June 1941 the howitzers regiment was removed and the number of howitzers dropped to 16. This organization was used throughout the war.
The 203 mm Howitzer M1931 (B-4) was 203 mm (8 inch) Soviet heavy howitzer. These guns were used with success against heavy German fortifications and in urban combat for crushing protected buildings and bunkers. This weapon was used right up until the end of the war in the battle of Berlin were the red army would bring up these guns at point blank range to smash German fortifications with their heavy 203mm shells
The 280 mm Mortar M1939 (Br-5) was a heavy artillery piece used during World War II. This mortar was the Red Army´s heaviest field piece. Distinguished by the siege of Berlin, these weapons quickened up the Red Army´s assault on the German capital. Due to the heavy weight of shell (168 kg) the blast created a 10 metre deep crater. The weapon had low rate of fire due to muzzle overheating and the fact a crane had to used to load projectiles
A multitude of Br-5's were used during the Reichstag siege. A Br-5 is reportedly the weapon with which the Red Army blew up the giant swastika on the Reichstag roof