The Adolf Gun was a German naval gun, designed in 1934 by Krupp and used as coastal artillery
About this creation
Officially known as the 40.6 cm Schnelladekanone C/34 (Fast-loading cannon C/34), the Adolf Gun was a German naval gun, originally intended for installment on the early H-class battleships.
Intended to be mounted in battleship turrets, the guns were produced in left and right-handed pairs. These pairs were split for individual mounting in the coastal defence role. The gun's barrel was approximately 20 metros long. In a coastal defence emplacement the gun could be elevated to 52 degrees, giving it a range of 56 kilometers with the special 600 kilograms "Adolf Shells." The rate of fire for the weapon was around 2 minutes per round as coastal artillery.
Since the intended 56,000 ton H and J Class battleships were never completed, the guns that had been designed for them were used as coastal defense artillery during the Second World War. At least eleven of the guns were produced; eight were sited in Norway (one was sunk enroute), and the other three were used in Poland near Danzig. Soon after their first training shots, the Polish guns were moved to France and sited near Sangatte and renamed battery Lindemann in honour of the fallen captain of the battleship Bismarck Kapitän Ernst Lindemann.
The first three guns were situated at the Hel Fortified Area, Poland as Battery Schleswig-Holstein during 1940 to protect the Bay of Danzig. All three guns were fired during May and June 1941 and shortly after the guns were dismantled and transported to France for use as Battery Lindemann. From this new location near Sangatte in France they could fire on Dover, in the county of Kent in England and shipping along the English Channel
The seven guns that reached their destinations in Norway were split into two batteries: Battery Dietl with three guns on the island of Engeløya, Steigen and Battery Theo with four guns mounted at Trondenes Fort near Harstad. After the end of the war the Trondenes guns were taken over by the Norwegian Army, along with 1,227 shells. The battery was last fired in 1957 and formally decommissioned in 1964. The three Engeløya guns were sold for scrap in 1956 but the four guns at Trondenes were spared and one is open as a museum (top picture). In the summer there are normally three or four guided tours per day.
The Schleswig Holstein Battery from Hel, in France recalled as Battery Lindemann saw considerable service, with the three guns emplaced singly in turrets, protected by massive concrete encasements in places four metres thick. The guns fired 2,226 shells at Dover between 1940 and 1944. The guns were not put out of action by bombing despite being hit many times, due to the thick concrete. Only the Bruno turret was damaged on 3 September 1944, when a shell from a British railroad gun hit its elevating gear shortly before the battery was captured.
Weight - 1,475 metric tons
Barrel length - 21.5 m
Shell - L/4.2, L/4.8 and L/4.4
Shell weight - 1,030 kg (L/4.8 and L/4.4), 600 kg (L/4.2)
Caliber - 406 mm
Elevation - 52 degrees
Rate of fire - 2 minutes per round
Muzzle velocity - 1,000 m/s (long range shell), 810 m/s (standard shell)
Effective range - 56 km (long range shell), 42 km (26 mi) (standard shell)