Started as a school project, but after much landscaping and other work, is a nice two person home. Fully furnished inside and out. Solar panels run the house.
About this creation
This is my first house since around 2008, so it has been a long time. I am surprised, because of how bad my last house came out, that not only did I do a good job, but an amazing job.
This house was originally built as a model for a school project. It was to accompany a power point presentation on energy efficient housing. My original plan was to have pipes under the house that to represent geothermal heating, solar panels on the roof, insulation that could be viewed all the way around, and other things. The only thing I got was the insulation and even that was only on one side, I didn't even get a roof on it by the time of the project, so the power point is really what carried my grade. I always planned to come back to it and finish, and finally I did!
The architect's drawing room:
The whole thing took two days, about 8 hours every day, to get all the landscaping done, the roof, and other modifications. This does not include the time it took to build the original model which was about as long or longer.
The original MOC was built on a standard green 32x32 base-plate. My new idea's required a bigger area and so it now has been extended to 32x40. This led to a lot of work having to rip the house and the porch/deck off the foundation and moving it half a dozen times. I am not a landscaper and have very little green plates other then in large sizes so my work was pretty simplistic, but it looks nice.
I did very little with the interior, with the exception of the AC unit and water heater being moved outside to make room for a washer and drier, nothing has changes since the first build. I still want to touch up the colors a little bit, many of the tiles used in between the walls and roof are odd colors since I was out of white ones. LEGO is having problems and my PaB order is a month overdue.
I am very happy with how the house came out, it is pretty small, really only meant for two people, but still nice none the less.
About the house:
Most the info about the house is told with pictures, the rest is in captions under the pictures.
The front deck:
A based this on some of the houses I saw at the solar decatholon. Many of these had large decks on the front with wheel chair ramps so mine does too.
The solar hot water heater and Heating/cooling system:
Origonaly these where in the house behind the sliding doors, but I needed that space for the washer/drier.
A closer look
Some panels broken away to show insulation. This was originally built as a school project so it needed demonstrations. The original idea was too have this all the way around, but I didn't have the parts. I still want to do the paneling all the way around some day, but the insulation is too bulky.
Back yard overview:
The back yard has some bushes, a tree, picnic-table, BBQ grill, and a sprinkler. I added the vines on the house to make it look less plain.
Backyard side view:
Here you can see the rain barrel which fills up from the gutters and can be used to water the lawn.
Sprinkler actually moves!
The BBQ grill I've seen better, but I wanted my own design.
Future plans are to make this a little more elegant and add an attic (full of junk) or even a second floor. The house would look good with two windows coming out of the roof.
If I get a second floor on it, I would like to expand this so the TV and couch are in their own room with some Lazy-Boy recliners! :P This assumes the bedroom would be on the second floor.
Coat closest and Landry room:
The sliding doors where a pain, the are actually window pieces out of the frame. I am really considering filing off those little bumps on them since they make operation rather rough.
The washer and drier:
I really like how these came out, the doors even open!
King sized bed, alarm clock, and lamp. Nice windows.
Close look at shower
I am very with how this house came out. It is at least twice as good as the best one I have made before. I plan on keeping this for quite some time, possibly forever. I hope to fix up the colors a bit once my Pick a Brick order comes in. I also plan on adding a second floor or at least making the inside of the roof a bit more elegant and crating an attic.
The missmatched colors have all been fixed. I also improved the landscaping a bit and moved the whole thing onto a 32x48 base (as apposed to 32x40). I hope to get new pictures up soon although I might change the base to 48x48 and add a side driveway first.