The 8865 Test Car is my favourite of the official Technic cars, but it did have a very wide track with the wheels sticking out much too far out at the sides. I have had a go at addressing this "feature", whilst retaining all the technical features of the car including four wheel independent suspension, using contemporaneous parts with five exceptions .
About this creation
View from rear. Double wishbone suspension retained whilst track is reduced by value of four studs overall. Outboard suspension pivots are now closer to rear wheels giving greater efficiency of transmission of movement to springs.
Fan on engine has been moved upwards and is driven by a rubber band connected to a hub behind the rearmost crankwheel. Not a very realistic position, but no less realistic than that of the original - and it now spins more quickly !
View from below showing the new propellor shaft and additional transmission shafts that have been added. Main propellor shaft flexes at the point of the rearmost universal joint. The pre-existing gear box has been utilised in full in situ, but is now driven from beneath rather than from behind.
Rear axle from below. My tried and tested floating differential is utilised here once again, with just one universal joint between the differential and each rear wheel; the differential rises and falls with the wheels when both rise and fall at the same time, whilst the axle will flex at the universal joints if the wheels are at different positions in their travel - operation is identical to that in my original red "Volvo type car". I never considered using this sort of axle on a car with double wishbone rear suspension until I saw something similar on one of K Wigboldy's creations. My version uses a much longer propellor shaft to minimise back and forth motions of the shaft as the suspension travels.
Front axle from below. Narrowing the track by value of four studs overall meant that the chassis also had to be narrowed to allow the steering rack to travel from side to side without meeting the chassis halfway through its travel. Also, in order to retain function of the pop-up headlights (the mountings of which have moved inboard), the pushrod now travels through the dead centre axis of the car, and the linkage has had to be altered and now includes slightly more recent parts than were available when the 8865 was released. The headlamp mounting axles also had to be replaced with shorter ones to avoid snagging by the front wheels on full lock.
I also took the opportunity to modify the seats to include geared angle adjustment; however the increased height has meant that the headrests are no longer adjustable.
Non-contemporaneous parts used were as follows: two grey liftarms in headlight linkage, one blue knob to replace original red handle on headlight handlever, and one grey liftarm in each seat adjustment mechanism.
All the steering gears are at the same level, and have been moved further forward in front of the upper suspension bracing beam.
I was never happy with the steering gear in my first attempt - it looked clumsy, added extra weight and was not as strong as i would have liked - but with very little effort I realised the three gears would actually fit along one beam so I could eliminate the extra beam on top ! Now looks far less "botched" than before.