The Hornet-Fire is my costume World War II fighter. It wasnít based on any real plane, just a design I thought up on what a WWII fighter could have looked like. From the first mini model the plane was built to go in the upcoming YouTube series Pilots of the Caribbean that some friends and I are making (Itís going to be another year or two, we havenít even started the stop motion yet, still got lots of stuff to build). The MOC went through two rebuilds and countless modification in between. I only have pics of the first and third builds.
Hornet-Fire BT I:
The BT I was the first edition of the plane, it was originally made in ľ Minifigure scale and later a Minifigure scale model was built. The BT I was black and yellow and somewhat resembled the British Spitfire (hence the name Hornet-Fire) The BT (Big Target) refers to the fact that the plane would be shot down immediately due to its flashy paint job. The BT I had a detailed two seater cockpit with a rear gun, retractable landing gear and flaps. Also the ailerons, rudders, and elevators all moved.
Hornet-Fire BT II:
The BT II was basically the BT I with a longer nose (by one stud), and instead of having one black one yellow wing they were both black with yellow stripes.
Hornet-Fire BT III:
The BT III sported all the features of the other two with a slightly improved paint job on the wings and many new features. I widened the flap area re-did the ailerons and ruder and --- dramatic pause --- made the wings fold up! Funny enough even with all those new features some how I actually improved the structural strength by two or three times.
These are the rockets I plane to build for the plane:
I made them on LDD
Hornet-Fire BT III.5
(In normal conversation I'm just going to refer to it as the BT III) I have now Added the new rockets to the plane and made improved bombs as well. I did some modification to the tail too.
The plane is done; I have no future planes to change it in any way. In my opinion it is perfect. <- OK scratch that, I have now changed the tail fins back to vertical instead of angled, they look better that way. <- Edit to an Edit: I have also done some modification to the cannons to make the shell eject look better. I have expanded the assortment of available armaments as well, now I have pods to add to the bottom instead of bombs/rockets that triple the ammo capacity of the guns, new pics to come soon!
I really need not get new pictures up, of a lot of my MOCs. Many of my pictures are out of date or lost from that crash a year ago. Sorry about all of it, but lately I have been worse at getting to things then normal!
Looks good! I really like the coloring on the wings, and the use of "joysticks" as guns was turned out good too. The only thing I think could improve is the area between the nose and propeller. Maybe make it a little smaller. But overall- great!