MOC Olympics Category: MOC armada! A dramatic encounter for the Lego Star Alliance on the edge of known space...
About this creation
This is an entry in the MOC Olympics - check out the other entries here
My esteemed opponent is Space Gypsy, and his entry can be found here
Read on for my entry in the category MOC armada! For ease of following the plot, the text refers to the picture below it. Sorry it's a bit long, I think I got carried away! Hope you enjoy it!
Somewhere on the outer limits of Lego space, the long range scout ship 'Maria'...
- Maria to Lego Star Alliance command. Three large power signatures detected in sector 1588. Request orders.
- Maria, this is the flagship Sidonia of the fourth fleet. We have a hyperspace lock on your position and stand ready to assist. Proceed with caution.
- Maria to Sidonia, 3 contacts confirmed. I've never seen anything like this before, but they're big, and their energy signatures are off the scale. They seem to be constructed from some kind of bio-metallic alloy. Attempting to hail unidentified vehicles....
- Maria to Sidonia, Mayday! Mayday! We're coming under fire from unidentified vehicle! Taking evasive action!
- Sidonia to Maria, hang in there. We are initiating precision hyperspace jump. Prepare to break right on my mark. 3... 2... 1...
Hangar bay doors open. Black squadron interceptors, deploy and engage hostile vessel!
All turrets fire at will. Maria, get yourself clear, we'll take it from here.
Black squadron leader to Sidonia, something's happening - the hostile's forward projections are opening up...
- Black squadron to Sidonia, we are under fire from hostile fighters. Engaging tactical maneuvre 402.
Meanwhile gunships 'Valdez' and 'Perez' are engaging the second alien craft:
- Valdez to Sidonia, we've been hit by some kind of ion beam! We have lost all engine power!
- Alert, hull breach. Hull breach.
- Perez to Sidonia, reporting complete destruction of Valdez by alien craft!
- Blue squadron, immediate launch. Assist the Perez and take out that ion cannon!
The frigate 'Recalde' is faring rather better against the final alien vessel.
- Recalde to Sidonia, targeting phase torpedoes on hostile's propulsion system. Torpedoes away!
- Direct hit! Say, is it just me or is that thing screaming?
- Black squadron leader to Sidonia, we may have a complication here. We've destroyed 2 of the enemy fighters but the motherhip appears to be growing a new one!
As the battle rages on, who will prevail? This post is already enormous so I'll leave it up to you to decide!
Builders' notes: Well this is finally finished so I can get some sleep! I was pleased to get this category but it is pretty open ended... and as the judges said 'A battle would be nice' I couldn't just build one Armada, but two! Seriously I could have gone on building more ships for weeks and still not been completely satisfied. Here's hoping, if I make it to round 3, for a slightly more limiting category, like a set alternate or something. Either that or a bit more self control! Still, I'm pleased with almost all of these (except the gunships, which is why one of them got squished.) If I had a) a lot more time and b) a lot more aptitude with Photoshop I would have liked to put it all on funky space backgrounds too.
In the meantime, here are some closeups of all the ships built for this MOC:
The complete Lego Star Alliance task force.
The flagship and carrier Sidonia, which in addition to its fighter complement is armed with rotating laser turrets and torpedo tubes on each side.
The Sidonia with forward and rear hangar bay doors open, and blue squadron ready to launch. The belly turret clears any enemy fighters away to allow a safe luanch in combat situations. Also rear views with doors open and shut.
The alien craft are Ixian Space Behemoths - enormous living organisms that travel the tracts between stars, normally feeding on asteroids and space debris. It's unfortunate for the Star Alliance task force that hi-tech space ships represent a much more nutritious meal!
The Ixian Space Wasp. Immobilises prey with its ion sting, then chomps them at leisure.
The Mothership! Big, scary and can grow fighters at will to support itself. Plus it was built on a hexagonal frame, which was a headache but I'm proud of the outcome.
The Gulf Voyager is the least aggressive of the Ixian space behemoths, although its primary weapon can still disable almost anything it might come across.
Quoting Dave Kaleta
Congrats on the win. Fix those photos for the next round! (do you have the camera on macro?)
Point noted and thanks for commenting! I took the pictures in a rush and it shows. I did have the camera on macro, but had neither a steady enough mount for the camera or good lighting. I'll work on my technique for the next round.
Showing the differing color schemes between the two fleets was what really did it for me here. You could really see who was who and what was what. Pic quality was a bit blurry though... Still, excellent work and you got my vote! Good luck with the other judges! ~ Chris.