Two huge engines strapped to a cockpit pod, intended for BARCAP duty.
About this creation
Searching for inspiration, I was looking at my hovercar and decided that I really liked the engines and wanted to do something else with that idea. So I turned them on their sides, made them a lot longer, and stuck a cockpit between them. Presto.
It's a little uninteresting in profile. Kept it almost completely studless, the 1x2 plates on the engines are supposed to be maneuvering thrusters.
I love those 1x2 log bricks, especially as engine nozzles and gun barrels. I keep building stripes into my mocs without realizing it, but I like them here.
This was a goof-off project, so not a lot of play features. Cockpit canopy opens, but that's it. No landing gear, just sits on the black skids under the engines.
Engines came together pretty quick, but the cockpit went through 3 complete redesigns, and I'm still not happy with it, especially the nose. It turned into an over-complicated snotty mess so I could have those wedge pieces on the sides to match the engines and tiles across the bottom. The side panels hold it together, if they come off it falls into 2 or 3 pieces.
Here's a shot showing off the engines with the side panels off, just because.
Sorry for the horrid LDview screencaps. I couldn't get POV-Ray to render the windscreen transparent, so after 3 hours I gave up. MLCAD file has usable directions.
~approx. 615 pieces.
Edit: Fixed a small problem where the tops of a 1x1 slope was just barely hitting the side of the cockpit. Also changed the canopy hinge a bit.