This is a 1945 Pirsch Model 60 Intermediate Aerial Ladder Truck with a 65 foot aluminum aerial ladder. The term intermediate refers to the aerial ladder being mid-ship mounted. It is powered by a Waukesha 145GZ gasoline engine.
About this creation
In 1880 Peter Pirsch started to work in his Father’s wagon and carriage shop in Kenosha, Wisconsin. In early 1890 they started making hand drawn fire apparatus. In 1900 Peter Pirsch started his own fire apparatus company, the Peter Pirsch Company. Around this time Peter Pirsch joined the Kenosha Volunteer Fire Department.
Pisrch built hand and horse drawn apparatus. In 1908 Pirsch and the Jeffrey Automobile Company, also of Kenosha, built the first motorized fire truck in Wisconsin. It was among the earliest motorized fire trucks in America.
In 1919 the company changed its name to Peter Pirsch and Sons Company. Pirsch built a full line of apparatus including pumpers, aerial ladders and tillers. Pirsch was a pioneer in the development of aerial apparatus.
Pisrch developed the world’s first all powered hydro-mechanical aerial ladder. Pirsch also developed an aluminum alloy aerial ladder. This was available in lengths of 65, 75, 85 and 100 feet. This was a mainstay of the Pirsch product line until the company went out of business in 1986. BFD552@gmail.com.