Mirthan was discovered east of Japan in 1610 by German explorers. The Germans built several trade settlements along the western coast, the largest being Polis. The Mirthanese are oriental in appearance, similar to their Japanese neighbors. After the war of Spanish succession in 1701, the settlements were sold to the French, who invaded and subjugated the island. Eleven years later, the Mirthanese revolted. Mirthan regained independence in 1717 after the British sent several officers to train and equip the rebels. The Mirthanese made an alliance with Japan in 1820 and have kept the agreement for almost 200 years. As part of the agreement, Mirthan agreed to keep avoid spreading its western-style military and economic doctrines out of Japan, who preferred isolation. The Mirthanese fought alongside Japan in WW1 for the allies and for the axis in WW2. The Mirthanese surrendered alongside the Japanese after an atomic bomb was dropped on the Mirthanese city of Konigsberg. In 1970 the country split apart in a civil war. Communist forces, supported by Prince Kirschtein II, in the south, capitalists in the north, led by King Lennertz VI. Relations have been tenuous at best, resulting in two a wars between the north and south in 1984-86 and 1999-2001. The communist regime crumbled in 1989 but relations have not improved. As of 2003, Mirthan is one of the world’s fastest growing economies and is considered one of Asia’s Tigers.
The island of Mirthan is mostly desert with forests in the far north and mountains along the east coast.
4 years of military service has been mandatory for all able-bodied individuals over 20 since 1986. South Mirthan keeps a standing army at all times, in case of war with the north. South Mirthan has also sent 5 consultants to work with Afghan security forces. The military uses the H&K G36 as their primary weapon, as well as various other weapons. South Mirthan also designs and manufactures their own military vehicles.
South Mirthan kept a portion of the royal family after the civil war. However the king and queen are figureheads, a prime minister and a Parliament govern the nation. The government itself is relatively small, taking care of roads, military, and national security. Decisions like welfare, environment, and education are made at a provincial level. all other laws and policies (including enforcement of such laws) falls to a municipal level.
South Mirthan has a high tech economy not unlike Korea and Japan. Technology industries dominate the market. Commercial fishing and offshore drilling is lucrative as well. The federal government has no control over industry, those decisions fall to individual provinces.
South Mirthan’s official language is German. Cuisine is largely seafood due to lack of arable land. Buddhism is the prominent religion, making up 60% of the population. Lutheranism, Shintoism, and Islam make up the remaining 40%. The South Mirthanese are industrious, like the Japanese. Anime and Manga are popular, as well as J-pop music, and many other elements of Japanese culture are prevalent among the Mirthanese population.
Query for failed SELECT activity.* FROM activity WHERE activity.to_personid=35435 AND activity.regarding_personid=35435 AND activity.action!='invited' AND activity.action!='removed' ORDER BY activity.created DESC LIMIT 10