Bio-MOC Challenge Build Society-BCBS (Contests on permanent Vacation)
View all 203
Welcome to the
BioMOC Challenge-Build Society (BCBS)!
Calling All Bio-MOCers!!
The BCBS will be an ongoing MOCpages forum for BioMOCers to encourage one another to creative excellence through monthly “Challenge-Builds”. Each monthly entry will be voted on by the other participating members. Monthly winners will be announced and be rewarded with fame and glory as well as the privilege of suggesting the next month’s ”Challenge-Build”.
Peer Voting will make these contests a true exercize in democracy. An outside email address will be set up for the sole purpose of letting participating members vote anonymously, instead of publicly (i.e. on a thread). Votes will be tabulated by the moderator and announced.
Additionally, rankings among participants will accumulate over a period of one year to establish a Yearlong Leader Board. The top three builders for the year will receive additional fame and glory as well as PRIZES (online Lego gift cards of $75, $50, and $25 for 1st 2nd and 3rd place) at the end of the year.
The contests will be largely administered (and financed!) by Nathan Ingerson's dad (a.k.a “Das Greebler” -see below). Since winners will be determined by “Peer Voting” (as opposed to moderator judging), and since no one will be able to vote for himself, including me –Nathan- I will be able to be an equal participant in this society and it’s contests. Cool, huh?
THE CONTEST RULES: (they make for better contests, trust me!)
Please read and understand all the following. If you have any questions or need clarification on something, be sure to ask it on the “Questions” thread.
1-The BCBS is essentially a Bio-MOCing group. The “Challenge-Builds” will be “biological” in nature, i.e. humanoid, animal, monster, or bio-mechanical. Creations may be made using any LEGO stock parts (Bionicle, Technic, Hero Factory, System, etc). Fusion builds are quite welcome, but all builds must have a majority of non-System parts. Additionally, no glued, painted or modified pieces of any kind are allowed. This is a Contest Group, so please only add contest entries to the group. Because we want to encourage fresh builds, no previously posted MOCs will be accepted.
2- THE TIMETABLE for each Month:
• 1st of Month: Challenge-Build is announced- Start MOCing!
• 14th of the Month: Entries must be posted by 11:59pm MOCpages time. Please give yourself enough time to complete and post your entry because there will be no extensions or exceptions granted. We have to stay on track for the sake of the next month’s build and the year-long contest integrity. If you just can’t finish in time, remember this is for fun and, there’s always next month for your shot at fame and glory. No extensions!
• 21st of the month: All remaining participants that month MUST VOTE to remain eligible for that month’s contest. See VOTING below.
• By the 24th Winners Announced! Rankings (monthly and cumulative) updated and posted.
• By the Last Day of the Month: Deadline for winner to submit new “Challenge-Build” to the moderator for approval
• Repeat for the next month!!
Voting should be done as follows: After the 14th and before the end of the 21st, those competing that month need to email Das Greebler at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org and:
A. Identify yourself by your MOCpages handle.
B. Evaluate and rank the top five creations (excluding yourself, duh!) from 1st to 5th and email it to this address.
-It’s up to you how you want to rank the top five. You may want to take into consideration how well the build meets the challenge, overall execution, presentation, humor, “wow factor”, etc. Any criteria important to you should be given top priority. Simply put, vote for what YOU LIKE.
C. NEVER VOTE FOR YOURSELF. Let your peers evaluate your work for you. Votes for self will be sneered upon and omitted. Seriously.
D. Those without an email address can send it using their parent’s email (with their permission, of course) or someone else’s email (Get permission from them and your parents, Okay?!)
E. If you don’t vote by the 21st, sorry but your MOC will be disqualified from that month’s contest. Try again next month.
F. Email Voting is limited to those who have posted a Challenge-Build entry for that month. Sorry, no email votes from “spectators” will be considered. Obviously, anyone can still “Like” or “Comment On” any creation they wish to.
G. I promise not to do anything with your return email address. Honest, we don’t have any desire or motivation to.
4. ABOUT POSTING:
A. A valid entry can have any title, but you must indicate in the description box that it's for the BCBS Challenge build for that month (specify month).
B. It must be added to the group page and you have to put a link to your entry in that specific month’s "Entry Thread” on time (similar to Bio-Cup). The monthly entry thread is only meant for that month’s entries, and not for anything else. If you have anything to say, be sure to do it in that month's Challenge Thread or the General Conversation Thread.
C. Your entry should fit the assigned theme.
D. The pictures should be clear, focused and with decent lighting to allow your peers to see your MOC clearly. A clean background is often appreciated.
E. No previously posted MOCs please.
F. Story boards, sound, or movies, are certainly allowed, but by no means required. These enhancements may or may not impress your peers and get you more votes. That said, great presentations tend to be appreciated. THAT said, it’s even more important to get it done on time. Don’t overdo it and miss the deadline. It’s mostly about the MOCs, right?
5. The MONTHLY CONTEST:
Here’s how it works. When the votes arrive, 5 points will be awarded for each 1st place vote, 4 pts. for each 2nd, 3 pts. for each 3rd, 2 pts. for each 4th, and 1 pt for each 5th place vote. Points will be counted and the builder with the most points wins! Monthly Results will be posted on that month’s thread. Each Monthly Winner will also be added to the BCBS WALL OF FAME, a running list of monthly winners!
6. The YEARLY POINTS CONTEST (May 2012-April 2013)
It is based on a separate points total. Here’s how it works:
• Everyone will be awarded a point for every qualifying builder they rank ahead of that month plus one for themselves. (e.g. 1st place out of 35 qualifying entries = 35 cumulative points. 7th place out of 35 qualifying entries = 28 cumulative pts.)
• Qualifying participants who receive no votes from their peers will still each receive (for their efforts) a point for every person who didn’t get a vote (e.g. 5 entries with no votes still get 5 points each for entering a qualifying entry).
• Points will be added monthly to the Cumulative Points Leader Board for a year to determine: the three BCBS TOP BUILDERS and PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED to the top three!
• Remember this isn’t ultimately about winning. Knowing how you rate among your peers after a year is an excellent guide to your skill and progress. Ranking well among your peers will be quite an accomplishment. Besides all that, we should see some awesome MOCs come out of this!
Your MOC will be removed from consideration for the Monthly Challenge-Build for
A. Not being posted on time -or-
B. You failing to vote on time –or-
C. Entering a System build (i.e. majority System parts) –or-
D. Using modded parts.
E. Entering a previously posted MOC
F. If you get DQed, no worries. There’s always next month. Don’t bum out about the cumulative thing. A year is a long time to make up ground.
8. General BCBS GUIDELINES:
A. All MOCpages rules will be observed.
B. Show respect to other Bio-MOCers by keeping your feedback constructive, positive, and friendly. Be especially considerate of less experienced builders. We want to encourage them to keep on MOCing!
C. You don’t have to participate in any of the BCBS contests to be a part of the BCBS. You cannot however be a voter that month if you haven’t posted a MOC for that month. All members are free to compete (or not) monthly as they wish.
D. You are encouraged to enjoy the community of Bio-MOCers gathered here by adding to the General Conversation thread whether or not you are competing.
9. MODERATOR RESPONSIBILITIES
• The Moderator will uphold the rules of the BCBS.
• The Moderator will administer the contests, post results, and (eventually) award prizes.
• The Moderator will do his best to clarify rules and maintain the spirit of the BCBS.
• The Moderator may share the responsibilities of moderator with another trusted member as needed (i.e. gone on vacation).
• The Moderator may (or may not) eventually need set a cap to the number of contestants depending on how big this gets. We’ll wait and see.
• The Moderator may make modifications to the “Challenge Build” suggested by the last winner if it seems too narrow or exclusive for most everyone to be able to participate. He will attempt to work with the winner’s idea as much as possible.
• The Moderator will have the final say in questions about rules.
ABOUT DAS GREEBLER:
“Das Greebler” is a nickname earned by my dad, Scott Ingerson, for all of the time he spends helping me find and sort “greebles” (i.e. tiny LEGO parts). BTW, he can’t build Bionicles worth a lick! He’s not bad with a spreadsheet though, so he will largely administrate the contests in this group (so I can build!). We came up with the idea for this group together so I could have fresh motivations to build, and so we could all enjoy everybody’s amazing BioMOCing awesomeness!
To the moderators of the Bio-Cup 2011 for helping inspire this group and some of its contest guidelines. I hope some of them see fit to join us!
Welcome to the BCBS!!
This is a public
Members can add up to 4 LEGO creations each day.Group rules